Deficiency of one or more nutrients can cause disease or disorders in our body. Vitamin deficiency is the condition of a long-term lack of vitamin.
|Vitamin /Minerals||Chemical Name||Deficiency disease|
|Vitamin A||Retinol||Loss of Vision|
|Vitamin B5||Pantothenic acid||Paresthesia|
|Vitamin B6||Pyridoxine, pyridoxine,pyridoxal||Anemia|
|Vitamin C||Ascorbic acid||Scurvy, Swelling of gums|
|Vitamin E||Tocopherols, tocotrienols||Less Fertility|
|Vitamin K||Phylloquinone, menaquinones||Non-clotting of Blood.|
|Calcium||Bone and tooth decay|
Important points to remember about the Vitamins
- In pregnant women, vitamin A deficiency can cause night blindness and it also help in preventing lung cancer.
- Vitamin D helps to regulate the amount of calcium and phosphate in the body.
- Vitamin C found in citrus fruits.
- Vitamin E protects fatty acids, maintain muscles and RBC (Red Blood Cells) and serves as an important antioxidant.
- Vitamin K is needed for blood clotting, which means it helps wounds to heal properly.
- Vitamin B1 help in maintaining a healthy metabolism. A lack of thiamine (Vitamin B1) is called beriberi and can cause weakness, fatigue and nerve damage.
- Riboflavin is also known as vitamin B2.
- Vitamin B12 is the only water-soluble vitamin that is stored in the liver.