- Doordarshan is a Public Service Broadcaster under ‘Prasar Bharati’.
- It provides television services in the country in terrestrial as well as satellite mode.
- Television was separated from the All India Radio (AIR) in 1976.
- Doordarshan is one of the media units of the Ministry Information and Broadcasting, Government of India.
- Doordarshan was established with a motive of public service broadcasting, whose main aims were to inform, to educate and to entertain the masses.
Motto of Doordarshan
The motto of Doordarshan is “Satyam Shivam Sundaram” which translates as : ‘The Truth is The God and The God is Beautiful’.
Fundamental of Doordarshan
Doordarshan is headed by a Director General (DG), who is an ex-officio member of Prasar Bharati Board. Currently, Supriya Sahu is posted as the Director-general of Doordarshan. engineering activities in Doordarshan are supervised by Engineer-in-Chief (E-in-C), assisted by Additional Director Generals (ADGs). Doordarshan is an Indian public service broadcaster, a division of Prasar Bharti. It has a 3 tier programme services- National, Regional and Local. Doordarshan is presently operating 26 channels.
Three-tier programs service of Doordarshan
- It has three-tier programme service- National, Regional and Local.
- The National Programmes include news, current affairs, services, culture magazines, sports, music, dance, drama, serial, culture magazines, sports, music, dance, drama, serial and feature films.
- The regional programmes are produced in the language and the idiom of the particular state.
- The local programmes are area specific and cover local issues featuring local people.
Major Wings of Doordarshan
Explanation of organisational structure of doordarshan
- Director General of Doordarshan is responsible for the overall administration of the Doordarshan network.
- Doordarshan is divided into four wings: Programme, News, Engineering and Administration and Finance.
- Programme using deals with all aspects relating to programme conception, production and procurement at the national, regional and local level.
- News wing puts out news bulletins and other current affairs programmes at the national and regional level.
- Engineering wing deals with all the hardware requirements of the entire network including the space segment and the studios, transmitters etc.
- Administration and Finance using deals with the administrative and financial aspects including general administration, personal management, budget and plan coordination.
- The overall head of all the departments in doordarshan is Director General.
- The rank of the Director General of Doordarshan is equivalent to that of the Director General of All India Radio, while earlier it was not the case.
- In Doordarshan, the Director General heads the Department of programme and Administration.
- His main job is to supervise, guide, govern and control the entire functioning of the department.
He is assisted by-
- Additional Director General and Deputy Director General (Development)
- Deputy Director General (News and current affairs)
- Deputy Director General (Communication and film)
- Director (Finance and Personnel control).
- Deputy Director general (Production and Transmission)
In addition to that there is a large number of staff in Doordarshan which are directly associated with pre-production, production and post production.
These staff members are- Programme producer, programme executive, video engineer, vision control operator, Lighting engineer, cameraman, vision mixer, studio engineers, Make-up supervisors, script designer, program Assistant, production assistant, Audio control manager, MIC boom operator, script writer etc.