Keywords- AIR,FM ,Digital Audio Broadcasting, Internet Radio
Asked question in Paper II June 2011 UGC-NET Mass Communication
In the history of evolution of radio communication in India, the correct sequence is
- AIR – FM – Digital Audio Broadcasting – Internet Radio
- FM – AIR – Digital Audio Broadcasting – Internet Radio
- AIR – Digital Audio Broadcasting – FM – Internet Radio
- AIR – Internet radio – FM – Digital Audio Broadcasting
- AIR was established in 1930.
- Officially known since 1956.
- Motto- Bahujanahitaya Bahujanasukhaya
- ‘Akashvani’ was later adopted as All India Radio’s on-air name in 1957.
- ‘Vividh Bharati’ service was launched to complete the Radio Ceylon.
- FM broadcasting is the method of radio broadcasting using frequency modulation.
- Invented in 1933 by American engineer Edwin Armstrong.
- FM broadcasting begin in India on 23rd July 1977 in Chennai then Madras.
- Radio City in India’s first private FM radio station was started in 2001.
Digital Audio Broadcasting
- The Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) launch the first digital audio Broadcasting Channel in the world 1st June 1995.
- The original version of DAB used the MP 2 audio codec.
- Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) , also known as digital radio and high definition radio, is audio broadcasting in which analogue audio is converted into a digital signal and transmitted on an assigned channel in the AM or (more usually) FM frequency range.
- Very well suited for mobile reception.
Internet Radio is a digital audio service transmitted in the internet.