Below are the important points on ‘Societies Registration Act, 1860’·
- The societies Registration Act, 1860 is legislation in India under which societies are usually registered for the promotion of charitable activities like education, art, religion, culture, music, sports, etc.
- The Societies Registration Act, of 1860 is largely still in force in India today.
- The Act continues until today and being an Act of Parliament, comes under the Right To information Act, wherein the government is legally responsible to give any information by any citizen of India with respect to any society.
As per section 20 of the societies Act, 1860, a society can be registered for the following purposes:
- Grant of charitable assistance
- Creation of Military orphan funds.
- Promotion of science, literature and Fine Arts.
- Promotion of Instruction or Diffusion of useful Knowledge.
- Diffusion of Political Education.
- Foundation of maintenance of libraries or reading rooms.
- Foundation of maintenance of Public Museum or Galleries.