The Indira Gandhi National Tribal University, Amarkantak has been established by an Act of the Parliament of India. It came into existence by the Indira Gandhi National Tribal University Act, 2007 and came into action on July 2008. The jurisdiction of the University extends to the whole country and it is fully funded by the Central Government through the University Grant Commission. The university caters to the tribals’ long cherished dream of higher education.
The tribal people are rich in cultural heritage and skill of art and craft but they are still marginalized in respect to higher education as well as in other walks of life. Now in the present age of globalization the world has shrunk into a village as the society has advanced in technology. But the tribes, who are the custodians of Indian culture in real sense, are far behind in this race of advancement. In order to rescue them from the present plight, the university has put before itself the following aims and objectives-
- To provide avenues of education, especially higher education and research facilities primarily for the tribal population of India.
- To disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in tribal art, tradition, culture, language, medicinal systems, customs, forest based economic activities, flora, fauna and advancement in technologies relating to the natural resources of the tribal areas.
- To collaborate with national and international universities and organizations, especially for undertaking cultural studies and research on tribal communities.
- To formulate tribal Centric development models, publish reports and monographs and to organize conferences and seminars on issues relating to tribes and to provide inputs to policy matters in different spheres.
- To take appropriate measures for promoting the members of tribal communities capable of managing, administering and looking after their own needs by access to higher education through a university of their own.
- To disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in such other branches of learning as it may deem fit.
- To take appropriate measures for promoting innovations in teaching learning process in inter-disciplinary studies and researches and to pay special attention to the improvement of social, educational and economic conditions and welfare of the scheduled tribes within the Union of India.