1. Zee TV (1992):
- Zee TV is one of India’s oldest and most popular Hindi-language television channels.
- It was launched in 1992 and is owned by the Essel Group.
- Zee TV offers a wide variety of programming, including dramas, comedies, reality shows, and music shows.
2. Sony TV (1995) :
- Sony TV is a Hindi-language general entertainment television channel owned by Sony Pictures Networks India.
- It was launched in 1995 and has since become one of India’s most popular television channels.
- Sony TV offers a mix of programming, including dramas, comedies, reality shows, and game shows.
3. Discovery Channel (1995):
- Discovery Channel is an American pay television network that features documentary and non-fiction programming, focused primarily on science, technology, history, and nature.
- It was launched in India in 1995 and quickly became one of the most popular channels in the country.
4. Star World (1996):
- Star World is an English-language television channel owned by Star India.
- It was launched in India in 1996 and primarily features popular American and British television shows.
- Star World is known for airing some of the most popular TV shows of all time, such as Friends, Game of Thrones, and The Big Bang Theory.
|SN||Name of TV Channels||Est. Year||Founded by/Owned by|
|1.||Doordarshan||1959||Prasar Bharati, Government of India|
|2.||Star Sports||1991||Rupert Murdoch, owned by Star India (The Walt Disney Company)|
|3.||Zee TV||1992||Subhash Chandra, owned by Zee Entertainment Enterprises.|
|4.||Star Plus||1992||Rupert Murdoch, owned by Star India (The Walt Disney Company)|
|5.||Sun TV||1993||Kalanithi Maran, owned by Sun Group|
|6.||Sony Entertainment Television||1995||Sony Pictures Entertainment|
|7.||Discovery Channel||1995||John Hendricks , owned by Discovery, Inc.|
|8.||ETV Telugu||1995||owned by ETV Network|
|9.||MTV India||1996||owned by Viacom International|
|10.||Star World||1996||Rupert Murdoch, owned by Star India (The Walt Disney Company)|
|11.||National Geographic Channel||1998||owned by Network18|
|12.||CNBC TV18||1999||Raghav Bahl, owned by Network18|
|13.||Colors TV||2000||owned by Viacom18|
|14.||Aaj Tak||2000||Rajesh Sharma, owned by TV Today Network|
|15.||HBO India||2000||Time Warner, owned by Warner Media International|
|16.||NDTV 24×7||2003||Prannoy Roy and Radhika Roy|
Q. Find the correct sequence of TV channels when they were established in India :
(a) Zee TV – Star World – Sony TV – Discovery Channel
(b) Zee TV – Sony TV – Discovery Channel – Star World
(c) Zee TV – Star World – Sony TV – Discovery Channel
(d) Sony TV – Zee TV – Star World – Discovery Channel
“We hope this blog post has been helpful in preparing for your UGC-NET or Journalism and Mass Communication exams. We encourage you to share your thoughts in the comments section below and join in the conversation. Your feedback is valuable to us, and we look forward to hearing from you!”